Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Randy Garcia: Surge of a Maverick

Writing by Stephanie Augello
Photos by Kat Wilson & Kamil Lee


Atlanta musician Randy Garcia has recently released a solo effort, entitled 'Resurgens," and is also involved with a number of other endeavors in and around his local music community.

                                                         

When I first became acquainted with Atlanta-based musician Randy Garcia and his new solo album "Resurgens," I was pretty much astounded - not just by the intricate and enjoyable creation he was presenting, but by the sheer depth of his overall ability and involvement with his local music community.  In addition to being a solo artist, Garcia is proprietor of, and producer for, Nophi Recordings, has been hosting Atlanta music festival Nophest for the past six years, and is also the drummer for Swank Sinatra.  It takes a lot of energy and intelligence to hold so many titles, and Randy Garcia does so with true panache.  W
ith all of that being said, let's take a closer look at this man and his projects.

                                                     

                                              

Nophi Recordings' realization, "Resurgens," is Garcia's tenth full-length album, which he released under the monicker R_Garcia.  It is the fruition of over a decade's worth of brainstorming, experiencing, musing and learning.  It "...evokes Atlanta, comebacks and revenants...the tracks comment on the evolution of electronic music from 80s techno-pop to the present...as if you were listening to someone's life-long collection of songs you've somehow never heard before, or perhaps the soundtrack to their dreams."  In response to the album, electronic music magazine Igloomag stated, "Randy Garcia is a master craftsman, involved with and exceeding every level of his work, and brings a winsome attitude to his music that makes it irresistible."  Think of "Resurgens" as a dance escapade, with the unforgettable edge of personal poetry.  It's a prime example of solid music, and a perfect accompaniment to both your day-to-day existence and Saturday night escape.  Feel free to take a listen for yourself:


Garcia's creative ventures also include his involvement with rock outfit Swank Sinatra.  According to the band's Facebook Page, they are known around Atlanta for their "high energy shows and unrelenting sound."  Members Bob Place, Brandon Pittman and Garcia want to "...climb a mountain just to start an avalanche.  They would sail a ship just to watch it sink...In all reality...Swank Sinatra has played a lot of shows, met a lot of cool people, and even learned a little along the way."  Their latest album, "El Terrible," was released by Nophi Recordings this past January, and can be found on the band's site.  All promotional photos of them were taken by Kamil Lee.

 

The common thread in all of Randy Garcia's aforementioned musicality is, of course, Nophi Recordings.  Founded in 1998, it focused primarily on "...instrumental and electronic music, relying heavily on handmade aesthetic and grass-roots promotion. "  Nophi has grown considerably since the early 2000s, and was voted "Best Record Label (Readers Choice) in 2009 by Creative Loafing Atlanta.  Garcia's festival counterpart to Nophi Recordings, known as Nophest, is gearing up for its sixth year.  This self-proclaimed "non-corporate, no bullshit festival," has evolved into Atlanta's "largest independent local music festival."  Planning for this year's edition of Nophest has already begun.  If you are interested in becoming involved, here is their contact information.

After taking in all of this information about Randy Garcia's involvement with the greater music industry, I felt compelled to throw a few questions at him.  He graciously replied, and the full content of his answers can be found below:

Q. Talk about Nophest and it's philosophy.  How long have you been running this? 
A. Nophest has been happening for six years now.  The festival was originally held over Thanksgiving weekend, but after two years of that, it was decided that the late Atlanta summer is much more hospitable to music festivals.  I'd like to think that the philosophy is more like that of an informal party than a structured event.  There is definitely hard work and planning involved -- but ultimately I try to have as much fun and be as relaxed as possible about the entire process.  The music business can be really stressful, and so to alleviate that stress, I try to make everything really informal and easy.  During the booking and planning stages, I try to focus my energy on finding great bands and listening to as much new music as I can.  Nothing makes me happier than booking a criminally overlooked band or giving a new band their first gig at Nophest.  During the event, I run around like crazy and drink lots of cheap beer to keep my head from exploding from worry!

Q. You've been working on a DIY platform for over a decade.  You're obviously really passionate...What keeps you going when you have those moments where you think that everything you're doing is pointless?

A. I've tried to quit music so many times.  I might go months without picking up an instrument or finishing a song.  Sometimes I hear a record or live performance that just blows my mind -- and I feel like throwing all my gear in the trash and hanging up all of my aspirations.  I might go home and feel sorry for myself for a bit, until I remember that I'm not really chasing a dream -- I'm actually living my dream.  I've no desire for fame or material excess, nor any interest in a life without complete control over my privacy and artistic vision.  I've no desire to compete with other musicians, and I have no problem making my own way when the business of music becomes inhibiting or archaic, as it often does.  I'm not tied to any third parties.  I don't have a manager or a lawyer.  What keeps me going is freedom.  It's the most important ingredient in my music and lifestyle.

Q. What do you think is so awesome about the Atlanta/Georgia music community?

A. Atlanta has so much music, art, film and diversity of expression compared to other places I've lived.  I think it's awesome that the best artists in this town aren't concerned with scene politics or what the local rags say about them.  I think it's awesome that the large majority of people I know through the music scene are the people I would be most prone to hang out with on days off.  Most importantly: we really do have an equally vibrant and functional community in Atlanta.




No comments:

Post a Comment