Friday, October 12, 2012

Noise!

Writing & Photos by Stephanie Augello

After taking a few months away from posting, things are back in gear.  The 2012 CMJ Music Marathon & Film Festival kicks off on Tuesday, October 16th, and this blog is going to be having a little party at Brooklyn's Spike Hill on Sunday, October 21st.  That night will be all about highlighting the talents of some of Long Island's finest bands.  

                         
Hiatus, Quietus


Taking a break from this here blog wasn't something I'd planned on doing.  It sort of just gradually happened, and then "Boom!" I realized that this space had been basically dormant from July-September.  Ya see, it was that thing called life.  Yup, my overall existence took over, and overshadowed this endeavor.  I unfortunately didn't have time to really make it out to shows, and most definitely did not have the focus to sit down and document anything.  But, that time has since passed, and some pretty cool stuff is in the works.

As many of you know, the 2012 CMJ Music Marathon & Film Festival will be running in NYC from Tuesday, October 16th-Saturday, October 20th.  Last year, I worked as an official photographer for the Marathon, and I'm happy to say that I'll be doing it all over again in less than a week.  If anyone in the area is interested in attending, badge prices range from $150 for a Show Pass to $549 for a full pass.  There will also be a host of "unofficial" events going on that week, so keep your eyes peeled for those, as they're a great time as well.


Uncounted Showcase


I was able to set up an "Unofficial CMJ After Party," which will be presented by this blog, at Spike Hill in Brooklyn for Sunday, October 21st.  Since I felt that the night as a whole would require a theme (I read too many books in my younger years), I decided that the showcase should be geared towards highlighting some of the wonderful acts currently emerging from the Long Island Music Scene - Wiretap Crash, Vision Through Sound, The Best Lies, All New Episode and Playing Dead.  The party will be hosted by popular local indie radio personality Radio J, and will run from 7PM (doors) until midnight.  We've also put together a compilation of tracks by the bands who will be performing that night, which you can take a listen to below, or purchase for $1.00 via Bandcamp.com.  All proceeds will go towards the showcase itself.


Lawnguyland

                  

"What's so great about the Long Island Music Scene?" you ask.  Good question!  If I may, I'd like to provide you with a solid, yet brief, response.  The whole "operation" is comprised of some really hard working people, who are in this game for the sheer love of it.  That underlying meaning lends itself to creating one helluva fun-loving, welcoming atmosphere.  On Friday, October 5th, local organization New Muse Productions, put together a show at Mr. Beery's in Bethpage.  I took some photos that night, including shots of Playing Dead and Wiretap Crash, and I think that they can better express the idea that I was just attempting to convey in writing.



          

         

          

             

So, don't forget - Sunday, October 21st, come down to Spike Hill, and check out some of the best of what Long Island has to offer.


No comments:

Post a Comment